Binary package hint: xfce4-utils
- Ubuntu version: Xubuntu 8.04
- Source package: xfce4-utils and xfce4-panel
- Package version: 4.4.2-3ubuntu2
- What you expected to happen:
The "Lock screen" button should lock the screen.
5) What happened instead:
It doesn't lock the screen.
6) Steps to reproduce:
Right click on the Panel -> Add New Item -> Action Buttons -> Add
Select action type: Lock screen
Click on the "Lock screen" button in the Panel.
- Possible reason:
The "Action Buttons" panel plugin uses the /usr/bin/xflock4 script (provided by the package xfce4-utils).
This script try to use xscreensaver to lock the screen ("xscreensaver-command -lock"), but if xscreensaver isn't running, try to use gnome-screensaver ("gnome-screensaver-command --lock"), but if gnome-screensaver isn't running, try to use the "xlock" command to lock the screen.
But, by default, neither xscreensaver, nor gnome-screensaver is
running, and none of the packages providing "xlock" are installed
(xlockmore and xlockmore-gl).
8) Possible solutions:
- Modify the xflock4 script, to show a warning, if xscreensaver or gnome-screensaver isn't running.
- Make xfce4-panel depend on xlockmore or xlockmore-gl, so it will be
able to lock the screen, even if xscreensaver or gnome-screensaver
[9) Another suggestion: May be good, to use the keyboard shortcut
Ctrl+Alt+L to lock the screen. Currently Ctrl+Alt+Del is used, but it
could be useful, to let lock the screen also with Ctrl+Alt+L as in
GNOME and KDE.]